Lazaretto Quarantine Station

Title

Lazaretto Quarantine Station

Description

The Pennsylvania Board of Health commissioned the Lazaretto Quarantine station at Tinicum in 1799. From 1801 to 1895, incoming ships, passengers, and cargo to Philadelphia and other northern Delaware River ports went through inspection at the Tinicum Lazaretto.

Source

The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

University of Pennsylvania Professor David Barnes 

Files

Photo and drawing collection of The Lazaretto at Essington, PA

Photo and drawing collection of The Lazaretto at Essington, PA

Top left: Drawing by Frank H. Taylor, 1895.
Top right: Front view showing administration building (as of 1936).
Bottom left: Wing to left of administration building, November 5, 1936, Photo by Joseph P. Sims.
Bottom right: Guard house on bank of Delaware River, 1936, Sims.


Lazaretto, Philadelphia, Quarantine station May 11th 56.

Lazaretto, Philadelphia, Quarantine station May 11th 56.

Drawing shows several men in a rowboat possibly headed to a ship anchored out of view, a man sits at the stern where there is also an American flag; two sailing ships are anchored at right and left, with a view between them of the Lazaretto Quarantine Station on the Delaware River below Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Drawing on grey blue paper : graphite with white chalk ; sheet 24.5 x 32.8 cm.



Essington Harbor 1919-1920

Essington Harbor 1919-1920

Top Left: Boats in Essington Harbor, 6-19-1919. Hagley ID 69170_13845, Box 349, Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Division photographs (Accession 1969.170), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807. 

Top RightGroup of vessels anchored in Delaware River near South Philadelphia Works, 4-23-1920. Hagley ID 69170_14759, Box 349, Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Division photographs (Accession 1969.170), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807. 

BottomSubmarine patrol boat of the recent war docked in Essington, Pennsylvania, 6-19-1919. Hagley ID 69170_13847, Box 349, Westinghouse Electric Corporation Steam Division photographs (Accession 1969.170), Audiovisual Collections and Digital Initiatives Department, Hagley Museum and Library, Wilmington, DE 19807.


Harry Rasmussen, shipbuilding yard

Harry Rasmussen, shipbuilding yard

Shortly after the Lazaretto Quarantine station closed, Harry Rasmussen moved to Essington and opened a shipbuilding yard on an adjacent property.


"State Probes Cruiser Use"

"State Probes Cruiser Use"

The Essington Yacht opened on the other side of the Lazaretto not long after the Harry Rasmussen's arrival. The yard was still open in 1955 when it made repairs on the Bonnie II.


Citation

“Lazaretto Quarantine Station ,” Schuylkill River & Urban Waters Research Corps Archive, accessed September 24, 2018, http://schuylkillcorps.org/items/show/153.

Geolocation

Social Bookmarking